Thursday, August 16, 2012

Michigan-Bound (Again!)

Previously, I was set to pursue my graduate studies at Penn GSE this fall. However, extenuating circumstances have forced me to successfully transfer to the University of Michigan School of Education.

I am a Wolverine student again! (Go Blue!)

There are benefits with the higher education master's program at Michigan. Full-time students generally finish in 2-3 semesters and pursue an internship (up to 20 hours per week) with a 9.0+ credits course load. I am also excited to pursue the new concentration, Diversity and Social Justice, that is being offered for incoming higher education master's students this fall. In Winter 2013, the university will also promote a campus-wide semester theme about Race in America. Talk about perfect timing!

If you consider the U.S. News gradate school rankings in higher education administration, Michigan (#1) is ranked higher than Penn (#9), and Michigan ($30,000, in-state tuition) is cheaper than Penn ($63,000, all students). Although I wanted to experience a new environment, I can always relocate for a job once I finish graduate school in 2013. It's a win-win situation for me: I am saving money and receiving a top-notch education. Ultimately, I want to pursue doctoral study in education hopefully five years from now.

No comments: