Thursday, January 7, 2010

Update: What's New for 2010

Happy New Year! It is officially my second semester in graduate school. For those who are new to my blog, I am a current graduate student at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. I am studying social work and information science.

In social work, I cover macro practice topics in administration, policy, organizing, program planning, technology, and evaluation in communities and organizations. I do not address clinical or interpersonal practice issues. I am also not a traditional library science student, but I recognize the information theory and skills are very applicable to a variety of administrative careers. It is a very unique combination!

- Book Reviews: I plan to begin a book review series about careers and topics in macro social work and information science. I have officially completed a semester of graduate school, therefore I feel qualified to educate and share information about the field(s).

- Specializations: I have narrowed down my academic interests to library and information services and macro social work practice (non-profit management and community development). Both fields share similar skills and competencies: helping people with their information needs and providing important programs and services to communities.

- Travel: I hope to engage in more academic-related travel this year. Last semester, I had the opportunity to attend a social work conference in Indiana. It was a great learning experience. Other travel opportunities will include volunteer service.

- Internships: Since I have completed one semester, I am eligible for credit-based internship opportunities. I want to learn and apply my skills in nonprofit organizations.

In sum, I like researching information on macro-level social issues!

Overall, I hope everyone has a good and healthy start this year!

No comments: