Sunday, May 9, 2010

First Year in Review: I Like Library Science!

It is still hard to believe my first year in graduate school is over. When I first began my dual-degree program last fall, I did not know what to expect in the School of Information. I did not have much exposure to the different specializations prior to enrollment (besides admiring museums and libraries!). In hindsight, I knew I wanted to connect people, information, and technology in better ways.

Almost a year later, I will pursue the library and information science specialization. I have enjoyed my courses in the specialization. It also relates to social work because it promotes service and outreach. In other words, it brightens my day when I can help someone find information they need. I am constantly browsing library journals, blogs, forums regarding reference, instruction, and much more. Wherever fate takes me, I believe my degree will provide me with flexible and marketable skills.

Furthermore, I have become extremely interested in the study of education among college students and adult learners. Based on my prior assignments, I find this population very exciting to study and may continue my education beyond the master's degree in the future. Overall, I am an education-library science-social work geek!

I found this video that highlights the responsibilities of librarians. Although most librarians work in public and academic settings, some work in special libraries and information centers (corporate, medical, law, etc.).

No comments: