Sunday, April 26, 2009

Admitted into Graduate School!

I realized in late February I wanted to attend graduate school this upcoming fall. I was employed in a office position at the time, but I knew my situation wouldn't improve financially unless I return to school and get my master's degree. My vacation time was over. I was now ready to become a graduate student.

I quickly gathered my materials and contacted my former college professors. I submitted my FAFSA and GRE scores. I knew I could not meet the priority deadlines for first consideration of scholarships. I didn't care about that. I funded my entire undergraduate education with loans, work-study, and scholarships. I had to become a graduate student. God would take care of my financial aid situation.

Here are my admissions results (via e-mail):

  • 04/12/09: University of Michigan MSW (Accepted)
  • 04/16/09: University of Michigan MSI (Accepted)
  • 04/17/09: Columbia University MSW (Rejected)
  • 05/07/09: Washington University in St. Louis MSW (Accepted)

I celebrated the news with my family and friends. Columbia and WUSTL were my safety net schools in case I did not receive admission to the University of Michigan. I am not surprised about my rejection from Columbia. Both schools have excellent social work programs, but I did not want to live in those cities. Michigan offered the best fit for my overall academic and social needs.

I won't learn about my financial aid information until mid-May. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with the admissions results because I am now an incoming dual-degree graduate student at the University of Michigan! Go Blue!

No comments: