Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Randall Kennedy on Black America's Promised Land

In the Fall 2014 issue of The American Prospect magazine, Randall Kennedy composed an essay on why he remains an optimist on race relations. Pessimism is rampant in the black community with the grand jury decisions and persistent economic inequality but Kennedy reminds us why we should be thankful with the progress that has been made since the civil rights movement. With Black History Month less than a month away, I thought this piece was worth sharing on this blog.

Slumping morale among blacks, however, is attributable to more than frustration with Obama’s enemies; it also reflects frustration with the president himself. Although the overwhelming majority of politically active blacks supported Obama in 2008 and 2012 and continue to rally behind him defensively, an appreciable number feel let down. They maintain that he has been altogether too fearful of being charged with racial favoritism and has done too little to educate the public about the peculiar racial hazards that African Americans routinely face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Michigan Girl,

I have reached out before, and thought I would try again. I am the founder and Editor of Social Work Helper Magazine, and I would really love to republish some of your older and current articles on Social Work Helper. You can still write under your pseudonym, and you can create an email address to contact me with if you like. I love you contact, and I would like to help share it far and wide. You work will still belong to you and my only benefit is that I get to share your perspective. My email is deona@socialworkhelper.com