Monday, December 24, 2012

Reflecting on my Higher Education Goals

In case this is your first time visiting my blog, I am currently pursuing a master's degree in higher education.  Previously, I recently completed my master's degree in social work (emphasis on macro practice, i.e. working with communities and organizations to effect social change). Although my original career interest was community interest, I began to explore diversity issues in higher education during my social work field placement. I had a strong desire to return to my educational roots (my undergraduate degree is in K-12 education policy) and decided to switch my career interest to higher education administration. I finished my first term in the higher education master's program with a 3.85 GPA (hoo-ray!). I am proud of this accomplishment because it made me realize that education could become my niche. My research and policy interests so far focus on these six areas:

  • Access and equity
  • Civic engagement
  • Institutional diversity
  • Social capital and social mobility
  • Social justice pedagogy
  • Student retention and success

Once I graduate, I want to work in student affairs as an academic advisor, project coordinator, or program manager at a four-year institution. Later, I will become an education policy expert on issues affecting access and equity among socially disadvantaged and underrepresented students. I may even pursue a PhD in Education and/or Sociology along the way to explore these areas in greater depth. If there are social work students who are strongly considering a career in student affairs, I will also try to obtain my full license in macro social work practice so that I can become a mentor to these students. I know the social work profession needs more licensed macro social workers who can train the next generation of social reformers!

To end on a good note, I am proud of myself and look forward to a good year in 2013. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: