Monday, July 20, 2009

Reflections on the Admissions Process

In a few weeks, I will begin registering for Fall 2009 classes! I must say I did better than expected this admissions round. On average, I waited 4-6 weeks for an admission decision. The financial aid took much longer because I asked for more money (if you are in serious need, beg the admissions office and they will find a way to help fund your education!) Luck could be on your side. I also had to wait for the status of my course exemptions.

  • I received half-tuition scholarships that will cover two years of graduate study.
  • In addition to scholarships, I received federal loans and work-study, which covers my cost of attendance. (I did NOT have to use private or GradPLUS loans, which have higher interest rates.)
  • I received a semester of course exemptions. I have more freedom to choose courses across the university. I could also graduate early too.


If you are planning to attend graduate school within the next two years, I highly recommend this website: Your Guide to Getting into Grad School. It summarizes everything you need to do, such as writing personal statements, applying for scholarships/financial aid, and much more.

Orientation is a month away! I will travel and have fun!

No comments: