Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Officially a U-M Graduate Student

I finally paid my $200 enrollment deposit to the University of Michigan. I am officially an U-M graduate student. I'm currently waiting to hear back on the status of my financial aid awards. I am also preparing for the transition from employee to student life. I will have to move to an apartment in Ann Arbor this summer. My search for housing continues!

I was also accepted to the MSW program at Washington University in St. Louis. They have one of the best social work programs in the country. As a private institution, the cost of attendance would have been over $40,000 a year. The school gave me an $8,000 scholarship for two years, but I would have to come up with an additional $40,000 (most likely in loans).

Although University of Michigan is a public university, it can be an expensive place to pursue a graduate degree. For my degree program, an in-state student estimated cost of attendance is about $34,000. An out-of-state student will expect to come up with $52,000. A U-M education for many non-Michigan residents is similar to paying tuition at private universities!

I will write more about the transition process later this month and throughout the summer.

No comments: